Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stormy Weather

I am back to blogging after a bit of a break -- no good reasons other than the every present press of life and sometimes, something has to give.

I have been reading five psalms a 5 lately for personal devotions. Take the day of the month and start their then add 30 four times to find the next psalm. Today is September 29 so the psalms would be 29, 59, 89, and 149. Oops, you will say, he skipped 119. Only attempt 119 on the 31st of the month by itself.

Okay so I was reading Psalm 29 and found the writer (David is given credit) really liked storms. Where others saw destruction, he saw God' s raw power at work. Now we might be tempted to say, "Well sure, David safely protected in your solid palace, why wouldn't you feel safe?" But David spent plenty of time in the field -- shepherd, soldier, outlaw on the run -- living in outside circumstances. I would rather think he was inspired by those times to write this.

Certainly lives are touched in sad and terrible ways by storms, but plenty of folks come out of those experiences and create wonderful outcomes. Looking for God's grace in the storms is probably one of the best ways to cope with devastation. What good can come out of this stormy weather?

If storms are blowing in your life today, I hope you find shelter and I hope and pray you can see a bit of God's power in the midst of the struggle.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're back! Again, I have no idea how I'm following you twice...I don't get it. I deleted everything and now I'm back...twice. Guess you're just that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back. You have been missed during your storms.

    ReplyDelete