Monday, November 28, 2011

An Advent Bucket List

I was reading an Advent devotional last week when I ran across a question that is commonly asked but it struck in the setting of preparing for Advent. "What would you do today if you knew Jesus was coming back in the next 24 hours." I suspect we have all been asked that question. Evangelists love to to use it as a challenge to those who aren't followers of Jesus. But it's a worthwhile question to ask Christians as well.

I immediately thought of the film The Bucket List. The movie centers on 2 men with terminal cancer who set out to do all those things they wanted to do in life but put off. What if we as Christians carried Advent bucket lists -- things I want to do in service to God's reign in the world before either I meet God or Jesus returns?

Many of those items might be very small and that's good -- Jesus spoke of the power of yeast and mustard seeds. Some might be the larger projects that will take consistent time and commitment and that's good also. What would you put on your Advent bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment