Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Beefy cheesy glory

There it was in huge letters on the billboard -- an advertisement for the world's most famous and largest hamburger chain. Hmm, they have used a theological word to advertise a cheeseburger. All sorts of thoughts spring to mind.

First, it's not kosher. Never beef and cheese together. Okay, but then I am a Protestant Christian and have eaten plenty of cheeseburgers and even (sadly I must admit this) some from this particular establishment.

One of the definitions of glory according to dictionary.com is "a state of absolute happiness, gratification, contentment"which I guess is what the advertising exec was thinking. We could argue that from a culinary point of view -- I am no chef and I think I have made a better cheeseburger at times.

I can't help but think about scriptures passages that warn us to be careful of worshiping our appetites. Satisfaction can be achieved in the short run from a good meal, but absolute happiness?

I think I would like to see the word saved for other uses. The glory of nature which speaks of the beauty of nature and can also point us to the creator. Going to my glory -- a description of our passage into the eternal and loving arms of God. Another good use -- a similar word to praise -- giving God the glory. And then the final and ultimate definition of glory which gathers up so many of the other uses - fulfillment, beauty, awesomeness, eternity, and all the other positives of glory -- the glory of God.

Ezekiel and Isaiah saw visions of it. John in Revelation witnessed it. God's glory shown through Jesus on the mount of transfiguration. Leave the cheeseburgers out please.

1 comment: