Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Psalm of the Day - Tough Guy Flute Section

Today's psalm is Psalm 5. The prescript says it is a psalm of David written for the flutes. We think flutes and by and large we think light and airy and fun. Sunshine dancing across the hills and Disney animated satyrs.

I suspect ancient flute sections were a tougher breed. This psalm is a cry for help from enemies and a call for God to destroy liars and evildoers. God will bless the righteous but God is going to destroy the liars.

So think more Jethro Tull than the lighter parts of Fantasia. David Carradine always seems to show up with a bamboo flute in his portrayals of Kung Fu masters. He would calmly play it and then peacefully bludgeon someone to death. (I can just see the wheels turn in Ed's mind right now reaching for some rather obvious comments on Carradine.)

I suspect most of the music in biblical times (and we really have little idea what it sounded like) was strong and earthy and passionate. It would have matched the faith of the people.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, October 6 but I picked Psalm 5. What's the problem? Well 30 days has September and my watch doesn't not what month it is. Enjoy -- I promise Psalms don't get stale even if read a day late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You so pegged that one right. In fact, I was thinking of the "appropriate" wording for a comment when I read that part.

    Good Call.

    ReplyDelete