Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Today's Psalm - 99 Wineskins on the Wall


Okay, I haven't even made it past the prescript of the psalm and run across something interesting that sent me surfing the Web.

Psalm 7 indicates it is a "Shiggaion" of David. What the ???? So I pop the dictionary up on Bibleworks and find that it is from the verb "to wander" and that it's like a Greek dithyramb. Been too long since I studied Greek culture so I head for the Web and find reference to dithyrambs being associated with Dionysus. Without even starting to read the page my brain can recall enough about Greek mythology to remember that Dionysus was the Greek God of wine -- real party animal.

(The image is from a company called Impression Games from a presskit of theirs.)

So back to some more search on the web on "shiggaion" and I find a little more honest Bible dictionary. The word is actually from a verb that means to wander around under the influence of drink.

Now the "official" explanation given is that it can refer to a song/poem that is influenced by strong emotion. So to the text to see what it says.

David is feeling persecuted by enemies. (Certainly could have caused him to drink.) He says early on, if I have done anything wrong, God, then you judge me! (Daring God to find wrong with you is not the action of a sober or sane person!) The psalm continues in calling for God to establish the righteous and seek revenge on those who are evil.

Now I will grant you strong emotion (fear, anger, etc) could have been the cause, but is it possible that David also composed this psalm (as well as a few others) with some fruit of the vine in his veins? I think so. No matter what my Baptist friends told me when I was growing up I know Jesus drank and so did almost all his fellow Jews save for a few like John the Baptist who opted to teetotal.

There is one other "shiggiaon" in the Bible. Habakkuk 3. Seems a little less extreme in emotion but you can read at home and make your own judgment.

Caveat: It's been a while since Hebrew so I don't claim scholarship on this post. I do recall when taking Hebrew that there were often disagreements about the roots of words. So I might really be barking up the wrong tree. Pass the wineskin!

Additonal Caveat: Don't show up Sunday with your flask in your pocket and tell folks I inspired you! I will confiscate all such items and empty them before returning them. Don't worry, I will find a good home for what you bring. And no, I don't drink when I write the sermons, although some will no doubt suggest it may improve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment