Monday, October 12, 2009

Today's Psalm - Help I am surrounded

In Psalm 12 David laments the world is filled with deceitful, godless people who are just interested in flattery but not honesty. Hmm, anyone remember junior high? Many of the psalms carry the theme that everyone else is against me. Remember, psalms are prayers and there are times in most of our lives when we might feel like most of the good people have dropped of the face of the earth.

One could easily see this is an emotion David felt during his days of persecution. It's also possible that he encountered a subject coming and asking for justice. David could have heard a story of betrayal and lies and decided he would compose an psalm based on this person's experience.

The conclusion of the psalm is a proclamation of God's trustworthiness. Faith in the midst of adversity? Maybe reminding God he had better come through? If I say this enough I will believe it myself? Any and everyone of these are possible when it comes to a heartfelt cry to God. Help, I am surrounded by deceivers. Who can I trust God? Can I tust you? Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment