Wednesday, October 7, 2009

YOB - The Light's in My Eyes


October 7, 2009
John 12:44-50

Jesus came to shine as a light in the darkness. Light to see in the dark is good. Light to keep from smacking our shines or tumbling into a hole in the ground is good. The ancient world was not bathed in ever present light like we are.

At left is a satellite image of a blackout in 2003 (courtesy of the Earth Institute at Columbia). Note how dark Long Island is. Must have been pretty spooky in the big city that night.

Sudden bright light in a dark room can also be very irritating. Jesus must have seemed at times like an overly bright light shining in the eyes of people. Even his popularity among the common folks was brittle. They didn't care for his talk about sacrifice and crosses.

Some days I feel like the light's in my eyes and some days it's on the path ahead of me. Probably depends on what I am most in need of that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment