Thursday, November 5, 2009

Today's Psalm - Get 'em God!

Today's psalm, psalm 35 which is one of David's, raises an interesting question. Is it ever okay to pray for God to bring vengeance on your enemies? Certainly it is an an honest psalm. We have all wanted to ask God to get those who are out to get us.

This psalm speaks of a time of suffering when others rejoiced over David's suffering. Evidently those same folks had suffered and David had prayed for them and mourned for them. But now that he is down, they are happy. Wow! We have those times when someone we treated with love and caring turns their backs on us when we are down. Most of us have felt the cold knife of a backstabber.

Turn the other cheek or ask God to bring ruin upon them? I know Jesus calls us a to a higher standard when it comes to dealing with our enemies. He forgave Peter and I am convinced if Judas would have asked, Jesus would have forgiven him as well. Glad to know that David's honest prayer is there. Somedays we probably have to pray Psalm 35 before we can open ourselves up to the deeper commandment that Jesus gave.

1 comment:

  1. That is so true, sometimes I wonder why people can turn there backs on me when I am down but I am there for them. My son says that they use me and I have to get a tougher! This way I won't get my feelings hurt. But I won't get tougher and I will get walked on again, I'm sure of that!

    ReplyDelete