Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Today's Psalm - Talking to Yourself

If you thinking talking to yourself is a sign of being crazy well then the psalmists were one loony bunch. Take Psalm 42. It's a running dialogue between the writer and himself about why he is having a bad day. "Why are you cast down, o my soul?" I have been crying night and day, but remember when we had that great time of rejoicing. Trust God, it will get better. God, I can trust you, right? Have you forgotten me? I feel like have been wounded, run through by my enemies. Hope in God and times will get good again.

Talking to yourself and doing it so God can hear you is one form of prayer. Asking God questions like, "Have you forgotten about me?" is not faithless. When we quit asking questions, that's when we really lose touch with the eternal.

If you feel like chattering with yourself about life's troubles. Don't hesitate. If it helps to have a friend listen so you don't feel crazy, well then go right ahead. If you want to ask God all the hard questions of life, go for it.

3 comments:

  1. I actually needed this told to me today.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean I can tell my therapist, "I'm not crazy cause the Bible tells me so."?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed: tell him you are totaly depraved and see what his reaction is to that. (Do therapists have to study Calvanism?)

    "I'm not crazy, this I know,
    'Cause the Bible tells me so!
    Strange, strange thoughts to me belong.
    I am fruitloops all day long!

    Still Jesus loves me!
    Still Jesus loves me!
    Still Jesus loves me!
    The Bible tells me so!

    Deborah: Glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete