Friday, November 13, 2009

Today's Psalm - I am jealous

Psalm 73 brings us face to face with that most human of emotions - jealousy. The psalmist checked out all the rich people and found himself jealous of their status, comfort, and their apparent freedom from the worries of life that plague others. Why do they get away with having life so good? Why do the ones who have gotten their money by deceit seem to get away with it? He was all wrapped up in huge fit of jealousy until he went to the temple and then saw things in the right perspective. In just a moment, the blink of an eye, their ruin can come. And he also realized that despite his bitterness and anger with God over the state of things, God continued to lead him and guide him.

So I started making a mental list of all those folks that make me jealous and sadly I realized how long that list could get. It is so easy to get caught up in the why does he/she have it so good and I have it so lousy. But it is such a waste. God doesn't want to see us throw our emotional energy away on jealousy. We need to rejoice over what we have and enjoy the good things and particularly people that are part of our life.

And isn't it good news that the psalmist realized how close God was even when he was angry and bitter. As much as we might think we can push God away, God always, always stays close by. I am so glad, because there are days I don't live a very faithful life, but God still stays close and guides me. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment